Who can apply and how
› Target Audience
Any student with no Portuguese nationality may apply to Undergraduate Programmes of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria through specific International Student Programmes. Other students who may do this include those:
- with no nationality of a Member State of the European Union;
- with no legal residence in Portugal for more than two years, in a continuous way, on August 31st of the year in which they intend to start a higher education course;
- with no Portuguese higher education attendance within the framework of an international mobility programme.
› Vacancies for International Students
› Undergraduate Application Terms
International students who are able to apply to Undergraduate Programmes of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria:
- Holders of a qualification that provides access to higher education regarded as any diploma or certificate issued by a competent authority attesting the approval of a study program conferring the right to apply for higher education in the country where it was assigned;
- Holders of a Portuguese secondary school certificate diploma or a legally equivalent qualification.
› Academic Qualifications
- Applicants should demonstrate knowledge in the subjects covered by the national entrance exams, and their level and content should be equivalent to those of the exams of students admitted through the general access and entrance regime to the concerned study cycle.
- When the applicant holds a Portuguese secondary school certificate diploma or a legally equivalent qualification, the qualifications to apply to a study cycle are checked based on the Portuguese general access regime final scores established to the concerned study cycle.
- The entrance exams and their corresponding weight concerning applicants coming from foreign educational systems who took exams – National Secondary Education Exam (ENEM) or other assigning similar qualifications – are announced by order of the President of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- If the applicants coming from foreign educational systems do not fit in any of the foreseen situations, the qualifications will be verified based on documentary evidence of:
– educational achievement in exams of similar level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final scores and rating scales; and/or
– educational achievement in a level of education that provides acquisition of knowledge in subjects of similar level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final scores and rating scales.
In every situation, the applicants may propose themselves to take the Portuguese national entrance exams or to take, at IPLeiria, exams similar to the Portuguese national entrance exams according to the course they want to apply to.
› Knowledge of the Portuguese language
Attendance of any of the IPLeiria’s first study cycles requires an independent mastery of the language in which the course is held (B2 level), in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
International students with no B2 level may apply as long as they attend a training at IPLeiria, in the language in which the course is taught, that will enable them to achieve the above-mentioned level.
Students who have attended secondary school in the language in which the course they apply to is taught, are not required to comply with the above rules.
› Application documents
Documents that have to be presented with the application form:
Copy of valid civil identity card issued by the authorities of the country of origin.
Portuguese secondary school certificate diploma or a legally equivalent qualification, when applicable;
Diploma or certificate issued by approving authority in an education programme that enables them the right to apply and enter higher education in the country where that diploma or certificate was obtained.
In the case mentioned in the previous item, a certificate issued by the approving authorities from the country where the study cycle was completed attesting that the concerned qualification is enough to enter higher education in the country where that diploma or certificate was obtained.
- Copy of the supporting documents of the classification results:
i) In national entrance exams, for holders of a Portuguese secondary school or a legally equivalent qualification and for international students who propose themselves;
ii) In national access to higher education exams for applicants holders of a high school diploma – National Secondary Education Exam ([…]ENEM) – or other diplomas that assign legally equivalent qualification, by order of the President of IPLeiria.
iii) Of educational achievement in exams of equivalent level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final scores and rating scales; and/or
iv) Of Educational achievement in a level of education that provides acquisition of knowledge in subjects of similar level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final scores and rating scales.
Diploma or certificate attesting the level of knowledge in the language in which the course is taught;
Pre-requirements demanded by the study cycle for which they apply, when applicable, have to be confirmed before registration in all the curricular units or in some previous moment when possible.
Power of attorney, when the application is submitted by State Attorney. The students entering higher education under the international student regime are allowed to keep that status until they finish the study cycle.
› Applications online in Applications Website.
For more information, please consult the International Student Regulation of IPLeiria.
When to apply
International Students Applications calendar 2018/2019:
|1st Phase||2nd Phase||3rd Phase|
|Application Period||15th of January until 6th of April,||18th of May until 29th of June||27th of July until 6th of September|
|Exams Implementation Period1||4th to 7th of July||4th to 7th of July||–|
|Publication of Results2||23rd to 27th of April||9th to 13rd of July||14th to 18th of September|
|Period for Complaints||2nd and 3rd of May||16th to 18th of July||18th and 19th of September|
|Enrollment3||2nd to 18th of May||16th to 27th of July||18th to 21st of September|
2Results will be provisional for applicants to programmes requiring prerequisites or whose situation demands that exams are taken.
3 The enrollment period does not apply to the applicant under the international student regime.
Notification of results
International Students Admission 2018/2019
1st Phase | Results* will be posted between 23rd to 27th of April
*Be aware that undergraduate programs are portuguese taught, so the results are available here in portuguese only.
Comitee and assessment
Note: This information is only available in the International Portuguese written Polytechnic of Leiria’s webpage once it targets only applicants to courses taught in the Portuguese language.
Enrollment and tuition fees
Exclusively destinated to students of the InternaTional Contingent (outside the European Union)
An enrollment period will follow the disclosure of results.
In order to prepare your enrollment and travel, here are all the steps you should follow:
Step ❶ | Payment of the enrollment fee.
The procedure starts with the payment of the enrollment fee in the amount of 500€. If payment is not made within 5 working days, we cannot guarantee your vacancy.
- By credit card | Please access the form:
PT – International Student – Payment of the enrollment fee here.
ES – International Student – Payment of the enrollment fee here.
Step ❷ | Letter of Acceptance
A letter of acceptance will be sent after acknowledgment of your payment by our financial department so that we can begin the process of the visa request.
Note: Please send us the address where we should send the original Letter of Acceptance.
Step ❸ | Obtaining the visa to enter in Portugal
In order to ensure that this process will take place smoothly, you must consult our page of international students where you can find more information about this subject.
Note: At this stage, you should have your original documents with you (educational certificates) in order to ensure that the documents are certified/ authenticated by the Portuguese Consulate.
Step ❹ | Enrollment and Tuition Fees
After obtaining the entry visa, and to make sure that we can continue to guarantee a reserved place in the requested course, you should ensure the payment of the following amounts here indicated according to the following conditions:
// Payment of 40% of the annuity.
// Payment of the school transfer: 2,5€
Note: There will be no refund of the application and enrollment fees.
If you have any doubts, but after you have consulted out international students page, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.