Who can apply and how
› Target Audience
Any student with no Portuguese nationality may apply to Undergraduate Programmes of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria through specific International Student Programmes. Other students who may do this include those:
- with no nationality of a Member State of the European Union;
- with no legal residence in Portugal for more than two years, in a continuous way, on August 31st of the year in which they intend to start a higher education course;
- with no Portuguese higher education attendance within the framework of an international mobility program.
› Vacancies for International Students 2021/2022
› Undergraduate Application Terms
International students who are able to apply to Undergraduate Programmes of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria:
- Holders of a qualification that provides access to higher education regarded as any diploma or certificate issued by a competent authority attesting the approval of a study program conferring the right to apply for higher education in the country where it was assigned;
- Holders of a Portuguese secondary school certificate diploma or a legally equivalent qualification.
› Academic Qualifications
- Applicants should demonstrate knowledge in the subjects covered by the national entrance exams, and their level and content should be equivalent to those of the exams of students admitted through the general access and entrance regime to the concerned study cycle.
- When the applicant holds a Portuguese secondary school certificate diploma or a legally equivalent qualification, the qualifications to apply to a study cycle are checked based on the Portuguese general access regime final scores established to the concerned study cycle.
- The entrance exams and their corresponding weight concerning applicants coming from foreign educational systems who took exams – National Secondary Education Exam (ENEM) or other assigning similar qualifications – are announced by order of the President of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- If the applicants coming from foreign educational systems do not fit in any of the foreseen situations, the qualifications will be verified based on documentary evidence of:
– educational achievement in exams of similar level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final scores and rating scales; and/or
– educational achievement in a level of education that provides acquisition of knowledge in subjects of similar level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final scores and rating scales.
In every situation, the applicants may propose themselves to take the Portuguese national entrance exams or to take, at IPLeiria, exams similar to the Portuguese national entrance exams according to the course they want to apply to.
› Knowledge of the Portuguese language
Attendance of any of the IPLeiria’s first study cycles requires an independent mastery of the language in which the course is held (B2 level), in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
International students with no B2 level may apply as long as they attend a training at IPLeiria, in the language in which the course is taught, that will enable them to achieve the above-mentioned level.
Students who have attended secondary school in the language in which the course they apply to is taught, are not required to comply with the above rules.
› Application documents
Documents that have to be presented with the application form:
Copy of valid civil identity card issued by the authorities of the country of origin.
Portuguese secondary school certificate diploma or a legally equivalent qualification, when applicable;
Diploma or certificate issued by approving authority in an education program that enables them the right to apply and enter higher education in the country where that diploma or certificate was obtained.
In the case mentioned in the previous item, a certificate issued by the approving authorities from the country where the study cycle was completed attesting that the concerned qualification is enough to enter higher education in the country where that diploma or certificate was obtained.
- Copy of the supporting documents of the classification results:
i) In national entrance exams, for holders of a Portuguese secondary school or a legally equivalent qualification and for international students who propose themselves;
ii) In national access to higher education exams for applicants holders of a high school diploma – National Secondary Education Exam ([…]ENEM) – or other diplomas that assign legally equivalent qualification, by order of the President of IPLeiria.
iii) Of educational achievement in exams of equivalent level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final scores and rating scales; and/or
iv) Of Educational achievement in a level of education that provides acquisition of knowledge in subjects of similar level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final scores and rating scales.
Diploma or certificate attesting the level of knowledge in the language in which the course is taught;
Pre-requirements demanded by the study cycle for which they apply, when applicable, have to be confirmed before registration in all the curricular units or in some previous moment when possible.
Power of attorney, when the application is submitted by State Attorney. The students entering higher education under the international student regime are allowed to keep that status until they finish the study cycle.
› Applications are online in Applications Website.
When to apply
International Students Applications calendar 2021/2022:
|1st Phase||2nd Phase|
|Application Period||22 January to 15 April 2021||7 May to 30 June 2021|
|Exams Implementation Period1||–||8 and 9 July 2021|
|Publication of Results2||4 May 2021||19 July 2021|
|Period for Complaints||5 May and 6 May 2021||19 and 20 July 2021|
|Enrollment||7 to 31 May 2021||21 July to 17 August 2021|
1When is applicable.
2Results will be provisional for applicants to programs requiring prerequisites or whose situation demands that exams are taken.
Notification of results
Committee and assessment
Note: This information is only available on the Polytechnic of Leiria’s Portuguese webpage.
Enrollment and tuition fees
Exclusively destinated to students of the InternaTional Contingent (outside the European Union)
An enrollment period will follow the disclosure of results.
After the results are released students must proceed with the enrollment according to calendar dates. Procedures will be sent by email.
Step ❶ | Registration formalization
The process begins with the following payments:
- € 500 enrolment fee;
- 20% of the tuition fee (annuity);
Step ❷ | Letter of Acceptance
After confirming payments, we will send you the letter of acceptance so you can start your visa process.
Step ❸ | Visa Procedures
Please consult our international student page where you can find information on this subject.
Note: In the visa appointment please take your original documents (academic certificates) so that they are endorsed/authenticated by the Portuguese Consulate.