Design for Health and Wellbeing
In a society in w hich present and future challenges focus on the sustainability of the population’s health and well-being standards, where the population’s exponential aging is sought, the design of innovative technological solutions that assist Man emerges, contributing to their well-being and aiming to promote their quality of life. In this context, design is increasingly a transversal and interdisciplinary scientific area.
This master’s degree proposes to relate and cross the domain of design, with the knowledge of the areas of life sciences and engineering, to the development of new technologies that act in the support and promotion of the health and well-being of the individual and of the societies. This course is based on a vision for a sustainable and positive way of life.
The propos al of a Masters in Design for Health and Wellbeing is coherent with the educational project of ESAD.CR -Politécnico de Leiria and intends to deepen it as a second cycle training offer. This proposal fills a gap in the pursuit of studies of undergraduate students in Graphic and Multimedia Design, and opens a new area of specialized training in design at national level.
The course is a pioneer in the field of design it covers, but also by integrating in a training the academic and scientific potential of human and material resources of Politécnico de Leiria. This integration, which demonstrates the interdisciplinary character of the course, is fully aligned with a tradition of interdisciplinary experimentation characteristic of ESAD.CR. It is an important objective of this master’s degree to equip designers with the knowledge, skills and competences of highly qualified professionals capable of integrating teams and acting in complex and changing situations, identifying problems and presenting clear proposals to deal with problems.
The teaching-learning methodologies are based on design and th e curricular units articulate themselves to enable the student in this sense, introducing the basic scientific contents for the construction of an autonomous project. Contact with designers, entrepreneurs, researchers, innovators and decision makers is promoted throughout the training, as well as access to equipment and laboratories in a business or clinical environment. ESAD.CR has protocols with associations of Social Well-being, Hospital Centers and Grouping of Health Centers West-North, that can collaborate and benefit directly with the application of the products developed within the scope of the course.
Due to i ts distinctive characteristics, the course has the potential to internationalize, through the association with other similar formations, the recruitment of international students and the development of consortium projects.
The cycle of studies counts on qualified teachers with the degree of doctor, as well as with the human and material resources adequate to its operation.
The future master will:
- Develop design projec ts in the area of health and well-being;
- Understand new media and trends that support the evolution of devices available in the market;
- Evaluate, design and develop solutions, integrating multidisciplinary teams, applying knowledge and ability to understand in solving complex problems;
- Understand the impact of digital mediation on design experiences with integrated information systems, relating the physical space to technological products that interface with the human being;
- Integrate knowledge, deal with complex issues, develop solutions or make jud gments in situations of limited or incomplete information;
- Communicate the conclu sions and the knowledge and reasoning underlying them to specialists and not specialists in the field;
- Develop lifelong learning in a fundamentally self-oriented or autonomous way;
- Be aware of the ethical and social implications and responsibilities that result f rom your action.
|Human Factors in Design for Wellbeing||1st Semester||6||75 h|
|Psychology for Wellbeing||1st Semester||6||40 h|
|Human Physiology||1st Semester||6||30 h|
|Design for Data Complexity||1st Semester||6||60 h|
|Seminar I||1st Semester||6||60 h|
|Health Experience Design - HXD||2nd Semester||12||100 h|
|Neurobiological Sistems and Signs||2nd Semester||6||60 h|
|Design Research Methods||2nd Semester||6||60 h|
|Seminar II||2nd Semester||6||60 h|
|Translational Design||1st Semester||6||60 h|
|Project I||1st Semester||24||135 h|
|Project II||2nd Semester||30|
Conditions of admission
People who can apply to the Master’s Degree:
- Holders of 1st cycle degree (or legal equivalent) in the area of Design or related;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree conferred following a first cycle of studies organized in accordance
with the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this process;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree that is recognized by the scient ific body of the ESAD.CR – IPLeiria,
statutorily competent, as satisfying the objectives of the 1st cycle degree;
- Holders of a school, scientific or professional curriculum, which is reco gnized as attesting to the capacity to carry
out this cycle of studies by the scientific body of ESAD.CR – IPLeiria, statutorily competent.
All information related to the international student application should be consulted on our International Students webpage.