Intern Abroad

International Mobility

Intern Abroad

In today’s ever-changing society, employers know that students; mobility, whether related to studies or in the form of an internship, has a tremendous impact on a series of factors, from language and social skills, to autonomy and self-esteem.

To possess an international experience positively impacts professional careers and opens our minds to a word that is increasingly global.

Erasmus+ Programme

Erasmus+ can help you gain valuable work experience by supporting traineeships (work placements, internships etc.) abroad. The cultural understanding and language skills you learn from working in another country can make it easier to find a job after your studies.

Furthermore, working in a relevant organization opens up perspectives on your studies that seminars and workshops may not provide.

These opportunities are open to people currently in education and recent graduates. Traineeships can be carried out in any relevant organization.This is a new possibility that the Erasmus+ program offers to recent graduates.

However, you must be selected by your higher education institution during your last year of study and you must carry out and complete your traineeship abroad within one year of graduating. Source- Erasmus +


In any of the countries of the EU that is part of the program or, in certain situations, in a partner country. During the 1st or 2nd cycle or within one year once you’ve concluded either cycle (both cycles) – curricular and extracurricular – and in companies or in Higher Education Institutions depending on whether you are looking for professional traineeship in a company or doing research or project for your final thesis.

any public or private organisation active in the labour market or in the fields of education, training and youth. Such an organisation can be:

  • a public or private, a small, medium or large enterprise (including social enterprises);
  • a public body at local, regional or national level;
  • a social partner or other representative of working life, including chambers of commerce, craft/professional associations and trade unions;
  • a research institute;
  • a foundation;
  • a school/institute/educational centre (at any level, from pre-school to upper secondary education, and including vocational education and adult education);
  • a non-profit organisation, association, NGO;
  • a body providing career guidance, professional counseling and information services.

To study/train abroad, you must be registered in a higher education institution and you must be following studies leading to a recognized degree or other recognized tertiary level qualification, such as a Bachelor, a Master or a Doctorate. Your institution must be located in one of the countries participating in Erasmus+ mobility for higher education (see question 5). In addition, if your institution is located in a Program Country, it must have been awarded the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE). This Charter is part of an accreditation procedure established to guarantee a quality framework for all participants in mobility activities. You can check your institution’s website to know if it is an ECHE holder or see the full list of institutions here:
The selection criteria to study or train abroad with Erasmus+ are defined by your higher education institution.

Your traineeship abroad can last from a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of 12 months.
You can benefit of an exchange abroad with Erasmus+ multiple times, either as a student or as a trainee, but your total time abroad (study abroad periods included) may not exceed 12 months within one cycle of study.
“Cycle” refers to the level of study as defined by the European Qualifications Framework (EQF):
1. First cycle (Bachelor or equivalent) EQF 5/6
2. Second cycle (Master or equivalent) EQF 7
3. Third cycle (Doctoral or equivalent) EQF 8
You can also go for a traineeship abroad as a recent graduate. In this case, your traineeship must occur within one year of your graduation and you must apply while still being enrolled in your higher education institution.
So, the duration of a traineeship period is of a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of 12 months. In case of a combined study and traineeship, the minimum duration is 3 months and the maximum duration is 12 months, no matter how the time is shared between studies and traineeship. Nevertheless taking part in a Consortium, gives our Institution extra obligations- so the Polytechnic of Leiria allows only traineeships until 3 months in in the case of a CETESP, 4/5 months for 1st Cycle (Bachelor) and 6 months for 2nd Cycle (Master).

You can find the destination for your placement by:

  1. choosing from the offers published on this site;
  2. asking the help of your course coordination;
  3. doing a research by yourself in the internet

In any of the above situations you should work on your CV and on a motivation letter in English (or any other language needed) to be sent to the institution that you will end up chosing.

Did you already get a positive reply from a Company/Higher Education Institution? Great! This is the first step to guarantee you traineeship. The main document is the traineeship program. It has to be signed by you, your tutor in your School and the tutor in the host institution. If you have any questions when filling the document, just ask your Coordinator to help you out.

You can apply through the international or Erasmus+ office of your School:

-ESECS- Odília Margarida Cerejo –

-ESTG- Eduardo Batalha,

-ESAD.CR-Gabinete de Apoio à Mobilidade e Cooperação Internacional- António Belisário,

-ESSlei – Gabinete de Comunicação e Cooperação Internacional da ESSLei – Tânia Mota,

-ESTM- Gabinete de Estágios – João Assis,

 A person with special needs is a potential participant whose individual physical, mental, health-related situation or economic condition are such that his/her participation in the project / mobility Action would not be possible without extra financial support. .Higher education institutions that have selected students and/or staff with special needs can apply for additional grant support to the National Agency in order to cover the supplementary costs for their participation in the mobility activities. For those with special needs, the grant support may therefore be higher than the set maximum individual grants. Higher education institutions describe on their websites how students and staff with special needs can request such additional grant support. This grant normally takes a little longer to be processed than the mobility grant.

If you decide to drop the traineeship, you need to communicate your decision immediately to the GMCI and before the mobility program starts. If the mobility program has already started and your reasons are personal, you must return any grant money that you have received up to that date.

If it is duly justified to the National Agency, you may be able to keep the part of the grant corresponding to the mobility period that you have undertaken.

Internship options

JOE+  (+ info) (+ info)

Drop’pin @Eures (+ info)

Paid internships in the United Kingdom

Graduate internships abroad

Link site

André Lagos – Business Development Assistant Email:

University Masarik:

Esta imagem tem um texto alternativo em branco, o nome da imagem é ateneo-orizzontale_def_0-300x87-1.png

University of Sassari: Info

ETN agencies

UN Volunteers


ISIC – International Student Identity Card

contact us

International Mobility and Cooperation Office

Tel: (+351) 244 860448