If you’re a non-EU national applying to a bachelor’s degree at Politécnico de Leiria, you can benefit from the International Student Status when submitting your application.
How to apply
To apply to a bachelor’s programme at Politécnico de Leiria, international applicants have to go through the Special Call for International Students.
Please check the language and academic qualifications required for bachelor’s programmes below.
The application is done online at the Applications Portal.
The attendance of any bachelor’s degrees of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria requires an independent knowledge of the language in which the programme is taught, proved in one of the following ways:
- Domain of the language in which the course is taught, at a level equal to or greater than the so-called B2 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), certificate by a competent authority in language knowledge.
- Proof through a written and oral test, with approval, in one of the Higher Schools of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
NOTE: Students who come from countries whose official language is the one in which the course is taught, or whose language is considered an affine language, are exempt from the above provisions.
- Copy of a valid ID card/passport.
- Portuguese secondary school diploma or foreign equivalent.
- Letter issued by the applicant’s country authorities assuring the applicant has the right to and the necessary competences to apply for a bachelor’s degree at a foreign higher education institution.
- Copy of Portuguese secondary school leaving exams results transcript, or equivalent.
- Copy of their country’s secondary school leaving exams results transcript.
- Copy of certificate stating the applicant has passed their country’s secondary school leaving exams, which are equivalent to Portuguese ones. It must include their final results and rating scales.
- Language proficiency certificate of the language in which the study programme is taught.
- Copy of certificate stating the applicant has completed secondary school education and has studied subjects of similar level and content of the ones studied by Portuguese students. It must include their final results and rating scales.
- For applicants addmited to the School of Health Sciences, it is also mandatory to bring a proof of achievement of the prerequisite Interpersonal Communication – Group A (type of proof: medical questionnaire declaration).
- For applicants addmited to the Bachelor’s Degree in Speech Therapy, it is also mandatory to bring a declaration written by a Speech Therapist, attesting the absence of language and/or speech disorders and the mastery of oral and written Portuguese language.
- Power of attorney, when the application is submitted by State Attorney.
If the applicant holds a Portuguese secondary school diploma or a legally Portuguese equivalent qualification, their academic qualifications will be assessed based on the National Call for Admission to Higher Education.
If the applicant does not hold a Portuguese or foreign secondary school diploma, their qualifications will be assessed based on documentary evidence of:
- Educational achievement in exams of similar level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final results and rating scales;
- And/or educational achievement in a level of education that provides acquisition of knowledge in subjects of similar level and content than those of the students admitted through the general access regime for the study cycle, including the corresponding final results and rating scales.
In any case, applicants can ask to sit the Portuguese higher education admission exams. They take place at Politécnico de Leiria and are similar to the Portuguese secondary school leaving exams.
Reading this information does not exempt you from consulting the document “Despacho n.º 55/2023”, published on this page in “More Information“.
|Academic Year 2023/2024||First Phase||Second Phase|
|Applications period||13th March to 14th April 2023||13th June to 30th june 2023|
|Exams 1||3rd to 5th April 2023||—|
|Results 2||31st May 2023||14th July 2023|
|Claiming period3||2nd to 5th June 2023||14th to 17th July 2023|
|Enrolment and registration||7th to 23th June 2023||18th to 31st July 2023|
2 If the programme you’re applying to requires prerequisites, these results are only provisional.
3 Complaints must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, accompanied by due grounds. Subject to the payment of a fee, in the amount of 20€.
|Communication and Media||8|
|Sports and Well-Being||5|
|Applied Portuguese Language||40|
|Human Relations and Organisational Communication||8|
|Human Relations and Organisational Communication (EaD)||4|
|Translation and Interpretation Portuguese/Chinese – Chinese/Portuguese||5|
|Accountancy and Finance||4|
|Electrical and Computer Engineering||7|
|Electrical and Computer Engineering | Evening Classes||5|
|Energy and Environmental Engineering||12|
|Industrial Engineering and Management||5|
|Games and Multimedia||10|
|Product Design – Ceramic and Glass||2|
|Graphic Design and Multimedia Design||4|
|Cultural Programming and Production||4|
|Sound and Image||4|
|Tourism and Recreation||5|
|Restaurant and Catering Management||5|
|Tourism and Hotel Management||10|
|Marketing for Tourism||8|
|Dietetics and Nutrition||6|
Settling into Politécnico de Leiria checklist
1. Apply and get the results
- Apply at the Applications Portal.
- Get the results notification.
2. Register and pay
- Register at the Student Portal.
- Pay the registration fee (€500) and 40% of your annual tuition fees (€1200).
3. Get a Portuguese study visa
- Visa advice for international applicants.
TIP: The process of verifying the authenticity of official documents may be quicker if you take the original copies of the required documentation with you to the Portuguese consulate.
4. Travel to Portugal
- Gather all the documentation you need and plan your journey.
- Pack your bags and we’ll be here ready and excited to welcome you.